Fort Smith, Ark. – The state reported 4,100 new laboratory confirmed COVID-19 cases and record hospitalizations in the last 24 hours.
According to Arkansas Department of Health, on the first day of 2021, the state reported a record of 4,304 new cases in a single day.
Gov. Hutchinson said:
“We are certainly in the surge after Christmas travel and gatherings. As we enter this new year, our first resolution should be to follow guidelines. We all must do our part.”
The state also continues to see record-high hospitalizations as the surge continues.
To protect yourself and others, the Arkansas Department of Health recommends:
- Get the COVID-19 vaccine when it is available to you.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available.
- Practice physical distancing.
- Avoid close contact with others, especially those who are sick, by keeping at least 6 feet between you and others.